Sunday 8 June 2008

Tim Wells and a cast of thousands

Episode 34 hits the inter-waves today, and my interview with Tim Wells finally makes it to the air. The cast of thousands refers to our choice of recording location - Brick Lane in East London. Now, even though I've improved on my recording equipment, it still isn't up to handling outdoor environments - and it was new, and a numerous other excuses.
The next few interviews should be an improvement!

Back to Tim - as much as Tim is a Soul and Reggae fan, I can't help thinking of him as punk - punk in the manner that he is more than willing to stick two fingers up to the establishment, and to forge his own way on the poetry scene. Opinionated, vocal and vociferous whether it's cats or channel four, Tim has an opinion and is more than willing to share it.

This comes across most in his 'zine The Rising, a quarterly publication, having run now for fourteen years, and featuring many of the worlds finest modern poets, yet all pulled together by Tim's eclectic editorial fingers. The Rising, at first glance is a simply printed, black and white pamphlet, stapled twice, and at times has the appearance of a ransom note. This appearance belies the contents, as the title suggests, this is revolutionary poetry, poetry to make you stamp your feet and holler, Enough!

This was my first time meeting Tim on my own, and I will say I was a little apprehensive, but once the recorder was switched off we retired to the pub, I thought I may see another side of Tim, but no, Tim is Tim, what you see is what you get, a more honest geezer you couldn't hope to find, and no better drinking partner! Buy every single one of his books, you won't regret it.

check out http://www.donutpress.co.uk/ for purchases.

No comments: