Wednesday 5 March 2008

Interviewing Tim Wells

Tim Wells, seemingly the East End Godfather of poetry, has agreed to do an interview with me, and I'm off down to Shoreditch to meet him tomorrow night.
As usual, the extent of my research into my subjects goes no further than a quick Google of their name, and if it's a Smith or a White, than I add 'Poetry' to the boolean search terms!
It turns up a lot of info, you know - one quirky bit of connections is Tim once shared a stage with Stewart Homes, who happens to be a cult, once left wing, underground author, and a school friend of my girlfriend - she has nearly every pamphlet and book he's ever brought out.

Stewart Homes, amongst other things, is also part of the London Psychogeographical Institute, East London Section, a subject that fascinates me, I've talked in the christmas edition of the podcast about Will Self's latest book, and the talk recently given by Alan Moore and Iain Sinclair about psychogeography, which ties back to my own area of study, Architecture. Read Sinclairs Hawksmoor book, and then read Alan Moores From Hell - Sir Christoper Wren has a lot to answer to!

Back to Tim. An east end, ex-skinhead, possibly a merchant banker (and not in the rhyming slang sense) poet, who regularly tours America teaching them English, a contemporary of John Cooper Clarke, friend of John Hegley and Roddy Lumsden, whose poetry is both gruff and earthy, yet storytelling and observational in the extreme. This is one of those interviews I've been working towards with this show, and I'm pleased and honoured that he's agreed to do it.

No comments: