Sunday 28 September 2008

Poetry Library Collection

As you may know, I usually record my interviews at the South Bank Centre, Royal Festival Hall.

Permission to record there has been granted by the South Bank Centre Press Office, with the aid of the staff at the Poetry Library. In exchange for that I will be donating copies of the Podcast, on CD, to the library. A very fair exchange.

Being a stickler for making sure I've got everything in place before I do anything - it's taken me nearly six months since agreeing with the Librarian, to actually start burning discs! - I'm half way through them today, and will have 30 of the 47 episodes in the Library from next Saturday.

It feels like a big step forward for the podcast - knowing that there will be a permanent record of the poetry that this show has produced, available for anyone to listen.

Why is the Librarian interested in the podcast? Chris McCabe (a fantastic poet in his own right) has an interest in poetry ephemera - starting with the pamphlets and newsletters produced by the surrealists in the early parts of the 20th century.

Podcasting isn't much different, throwaway recordings for the early part of the twenty first century - and I suppose some of it is worthwhile preserving.

No comments: