Thursday 15 May 2008

Episodes 29 and 30

Missed blogging about the last two episodes.

29 sees us going back to doing a bit of poetry, with poems from Graham Buchan, Naomi Woodis, Kaamil Ahmed and Maria Slovvakova. I've been doing so many interviews recently, I'd forgotten just how much poetry is needed to fill half an hour!

Someone mentioned recently when I was asked about the number of listeners I have - There are about 150 subscribers and I estimate another 100-150 people who listen on the web page only. I mentioned that I was a little disappointed with the numbers, as I'd like thousands, but they said imagine if I was running a physical weekly event and was getting 100 people turning up for it... that's like soap opera numbers!!!

Episode 30 - and back to the interviews. Firstly let me apologise for the quality of this episode - my new recorder's first use, and I've not quite got the settings right - I was using 'conference' setting and picking everything in the room up - including Niall O'Sullivan's dancing!

I have to admit I have one more interview like that - with Tim Wells, coming up in an episode shortly, but at least James Byrne is clear.

James is the editor of The Wolf Magazine, which as of issue 17 is now square bound, extra pages, and more of a quality literary magazine than before, if that's possible. James is not only editor of the mag, but runs workshops, classes, and works as a poetry translator for SOAS.

As an editor, I ask James about what it takes to get published in his magazine, and his helpful words of advice are essential listening to all poets.

No comments: